Friday, May 4, 2012

The Last Exorcist (2010)

First off, I’d like to say that The Last Exorcist has some of my favorite Box Art. With that out of the way, some of you might be wondering why this is part of the Eli Roth special. Well that’s fucking simple, the top of the box says Eli Roth and Strike present The Last Exorcist. What this means about what he has to do with the movie, I’m sad to say I don’t know.  But it’s the name that brought me to it, and I’m glad it did.
The movie follows  around Reverend Cotton Marcus, as he’s making a documentary to prove the exorcisms he does have nothing religious about them, they just use the “possessed’s” religious beliefs to cure their psyche. But is this really nothing more then a disturbed individual, or is there really  a demon inside this innocent young girl?
Now, I didn’t know any  of the actors going into to this, as is the way I like my Found Footage style movies, I feel if you put in some one I recognize, it takes away from the impact of the movie, dramatically. But everyone that is in it, did a great job, I really felt for the Reverend through it all.

The movie really shines in the scenes of the Reverend talking to the  Possessed, or through the possessed I guess you might call it. The nature of the conflict between the non-believing Reverend and the Possessed just seemed perfect, the dialog really shines in this movie, it’s what I left remembering the most, and feeling chilled by.
The only problem with the movie that I felt, was the sudden ending that’s in all of these found footage movies. I understand, it’s found footage, we only know as much as we can see, it’s not a script written (well it is but anyway) with a story arc, conflict, and resolution.

No comments:

free counters